Two US troops, 1 coalition member killed, as more than 15 rockets slam Iraqi base

Two U.S. service members and a troop from a coalition partner nation were killed in a rocket attack in Iraq, a Defense Department official told Military Times Wednesday.

The official said that there were also about a dozen people were injured in a volley of 18 rockets that hit Iraq’s Camp Taji base.

Shortly after the attack news reports emerged that the third person killed was a UK national. A spokesperson for the Ministry of Defence said that the government is “aware of an incident involving UK service personnel at Camp Taji, Iraq. An investigation is underway, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”

Camp Taji, located just north of Baghdad, has been used as a training base for a number of years. There are as many as 6,000 U.S. troops in Iraq, training and advising Iraqi forces and conducting counterterrorism missions.

READ MORE…

Cruise ship passengers to be quarantined at two military bases; US Army stops troops moving to and from South Korea, Italy for new assignments

American passengers on a cruise ship off the California coast will be transferred to Texas’ Lackland Air Force Base and Georgia’s Dobbins Air Reserve Base for testing for the coronavirus, officials said Sunday.

The U.S. Army has also stopped soldiers and their families from moving to South Korea and Italy for new assignments because of the outbreak in those countries.

“Approximately 90 Texans” are among the unspecified number of U.S. citizens expected to arrive at Lackland Air Force Base, according to a news release from Texas Gov. Greg Abbott. It was not clear when the group would arrive.

“All of the repatriated citizens will remain at Lackland under quarantine until they clear the revised and heightened testing protocol to ensure they are not affected by the COVID-19 virus,” Abbot said.

READ MORE…

All Military Services Are Now Screening New Recruits for Deadly Coronavirus

New Army recruits with low-grade fevers could be prevented from starting Basic Combat Training (BCT) on time as part of a sweeping effort involving all U.S. military branches to prevent the novel coronavirus from potentially spreading throughout the force.

The U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard have all confirmed to Military.com that all recruits are now being screened for the coronavirus, officially known as COVID-19, before starting initial-entry training.

Over the past week, U.S. military leaders have begun to intensify the Pentagon’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak after a soldier stationed at Camp Carroll in South Korea tested positive for the potentially deadly virus. Symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath.

The Army has directed that all recruits be screened at recruiting stations just before shipping to BCT and then undergo a second round of screening upon arrival, according to Lisa Ferguson, spokeswoman for Army Recruiting Command.

READ MORE…

DOD Releases Annual Report on Sexual Harassment and Violence at the Military Service Academies

Today, the Department released the annual report on sexual harassment and violence at the Military Service Academies. This year’s report consists of feedback from program compliance inspections and the 292 cadets, midshipmen, faculty, and staff that participated in focus groups. In addition, the department and military service representatives conducted onsite assessments of academy prevention and response efforts.

“The Department recognizes the challenge of combatting sexual assault in the Military Service Academies and the high cost of not succeeding,” said Dr. Elizabeth Van Winkle, executive director of the Office of Force Resiliency. “Our Academies produce our future leaders. At every turn, we must drive out misconduct in place of good order and discipline. Our data last year, and the findings from this years’ report, reflect the progress we have made in some areas, and the significant work that remains. We will not falter in our efforts to eliminate these behaviors from our Academies and to inculcate our expectation that all who serve are treated, and treat others, with dignity and respect.”

Based on the report, in Academic Program Year 2018-2019, the academies received 149 reports of sexual assault involving a cadet or midshipman as a victim and/or subject, up from 117 reports received the year prior. This should not be interpreted as an increase in crime rate, as the next prevalence survey won’t be conducted until the next academic year. The increase in reporting cannot be interpreted until next year’s prevalence survey, which estimates rates of unwanted sexual contact.

READ MORE…

Pentagon chief Esper concerned about Chinese hacking, espionage

Warns Beijing ‘trying to use emerging technologies to alter the landscape of power’

The U.S. needs to do more to account for Chinese students studying at the nation’s top universities and research institutions to make sure American technology remains within the nation’s borders, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper told an audience Friday morning at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

“We need to be more conscious of who is in our schools and universities and what they’re doing – what they’re doing and what their purpose is,” Mr. Esper said. “For defense programs, we need to know who is working on our initiatives — whether it’s basic or advanced research.”

Mr. Esper cited the Defense Department’s national defense strategy that identifies both China and Russia as America’s leading adversaries in an era of great power competitions, but noted China’s technological threats bear greater scrutiny.

China is “trying to use emerging technologies to alter the landscape of power and reshape the world in their favor — and often at the expense of others,” Mr. Esper said. “The Chinese government is using its diplomatic, military and economic power to advance its aims in ways that are heavy handed, often threatening and usually contrary to international rules and norms.”

READ MORE…

VA IG Warns Long Wait Times Could Continue with Mission Act Reforms

Department of Veterans Affairs patients seeking private sector health care saw a nearly two-month delay for medical appointments in 2018 and the problem could worsen under the new Mission Act, the VA Office of Inspector General reported Thursday.

The inspector general’s report based its conclusions on the region of VA hospitals that includes 1.6 million veterans across Florida, south Georgia, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. VA officials in that region referred more than 206,500 requests in 2018 for community care at clinics outside the VA network, with veterans facing a 56-day wait on average before receiving care, according to the report.

The findings highlight the wait times problem could balloon under the VA reforms of the Mission Act, which was approved into law in 2018. The Mission Act, one of the most consequential veteran care efforts in years, aims to expand the scope of private sector care that veterans can receive outside the VA network. The measure was a response to the VA wait-time scandal in 2014, hoping to expedite veteran’s access to treatment. An investigation by the VA inspector general into the scandal found 35 veterans died while waiting for care from VA facilities in Phoenix and found a pattern of officials in the department falsifying records.

READ MORE…

US Officials: ‘Highly Likely’ Iran Downed Ukrainian Jetliner

Two U.S. officials said Thursday it was “highly likely” that an Iranian anti-aircraft missile downed a Ukrainian jetliner late Tuesday, killing all 176 people on board.

The crash came just a few hours after Iran launched a ballistic missile attack against Iraqi military bases housing U.S. troops amid a confrontation with Washington over the U.S. drone strike that killed an Iranian Revolutionary Guard general last week. The officials, citing U.S. intelligence, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive information. They had no immediate information on intent.

President Donald Trump suggested that he believes Iran was responsible and wouldn’t directly lay the blame on Iran, but dismissed their claims that it was a mechanical issue — and denied any U.S. responsibility.’

“Somebody could have made a mistake on the other side.,” Trump said, noting the plane was flying in a “pretty rough neighborhood.”

“Some people say it was mechanical,” Trump added. “I personally don’t think that’s even a question.”‘

READ MORE...

Iran Fully Planned to Kill US Troops In Missile Attacks, Top General Says

The Iranian missile attacks on two bases in Iraq were meant to kill U.S. troops and inflict major damage although they caused no casualties, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley said Wednesday.

The ballistic missile launches “were intended to cause structural damage, destroy vehicles and equipment, and to kill personnel. That’s my own personnel assessment,” Milley said of the Tuesday night attacks which hit Al Asad airbase in Anbar province and Erbil in the Kurdish autonomous region.

At an off-camera Pentagon briefing, both Milley and Defense Secretary Mark Esper gave a description of the attacks, appearing to rebut speculation that the Iranians may have intentionally missed targets to avoid an overwhelming retaliatory strike.

“My assessment is that they were intentional, given what was hit, the aim points,” Esper said. The avoidance of casualties was “more due to the defensive techniques our forces used” than the intent of the Iranians, Milley said.

READ MORE…

Army warns of fake military draft texts circulating this week

The United States Army is warning the public of fake texts alerting individuals that they were selected for a military draft.

The U.S. Army Recruiting Command said these texts have been circulating throughout the week amid fears of war with Iran after a U.S. airstrike killed the country’s top general Qasem Soleimani.

“You’ll be fined and sent to jail for minimum of 6 years if no reply,” a screenshot of a fraudulent text message reads.

The Army also said if the United States were to authorize a draft, administration would be handled by the Selective Service System, not the Army’s recruiting branch.

READ MORE…

Statement by the Department of Defense

IMMEDIATE RELEASE

At the direction of the President, the U.S. military has taken decisive defensive action to protect U.S. personnel abroad by killing Qasem Soleimani, the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Quds Force, a U.S.-designated Foreign Terrorist Organization.

General Soleimani was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region. General Soleimani and his Quds Force were responsible for the deaths of hundreds of American and coalition service members and the wounding of thousands more. He had orchestrated attacks on coalition bases in Iraq over the last several months – including the attack on December 27th – culminating in the death and wounding of additional American and Iraqi personnel. General Soleimani also approved the attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad that took place this week.

This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans. The United States will continue to take all necessary action to protect our people and our interests wherever they are around the world.

Iran-Backed Iraqi Militia, Mob Breach US Embassy Compound

31 Dec 2019The Associated Press | By Qassim Abdul-zahra

BAGHDAD — Dozens of Iraqi Shiite militiamen and their supporters broke into the U.S. Embassy compound in Baghdad on Tuesday, smashing a main door and setting fire to a reception area, prompting tear gas and sounds of gunfire, angered over deadly U.S. airstrikes targeting the Iran-backed militia.

An Associated Press reporter at the scene saw flames rising from inside the compound and at least three U.S. soldiers on the roof of the main embassy building. There was a fire at the reception area near the parking lot of the compound but it was unclear what had caused it. A man on a loudspeaker urged the mob not to enter the compound, saying: “The message was delivered.”

READ MORE…

Wartime Suicide Rates Rise Among US Army Soldiers

United States army suicide rates have historically decreased during wartime. But a new study of U.S. records suggests that trend appears to have changed direction, with rates rising in recent years.

Researchers examined nearly 200 years of U.S. army records and other information. They found that, in earlier times, there was a decrease in suicide rates among army soldiers during and just after wars. However, the researchers report that the rate has risen considerably since 2004.

Their report appeared in JAMA Network Open, a publication of The Journal of the American Medical Association.

The researchers cannot explain the change – or the decrease in earlier periods during wartime. But they believe documenting the trends might lead to a better understanding of the underlying causes of military suicides.

READ MORE…