If you have not done this recently (since the beginning of Sept. 2015) anyone needing FTP access, we need to do a quick configuration change and then you’ll be able to FTP. Please email email@example.com
Where is my directory?
Graduate directories are as follows:
How Do I FTP?
You will need a FTP program we have found to be easy to use (and it’s free) is WinSCP.
To download, click on the “Installation Package” link under WinSCP 5.5.1. (or most current)
FTP to: ftp.west-point.org
In your FTP program, you will be taken to your username directory:
**To make your page viewable upon clicking your home page, you must title your first page “index.html”
Unfortunately, WP-ORG does not have the resources to provide help building HTML pages. We can, however, suggest a few HTML editors that have good online tutorials.
A free good free visual editor is Page Breeze:
A youtube tutorial:
A paid program for a fee is CoffeeCup:
This is a tutorial for CoffeeCup:
This page may also be of some help:
You will need an independent FTP program to FTP (transfer your web files) to our servers. Built in FTP programs that come with HTML Editors usually do not work on our servers.
We often suggest WinSCP:
Another program is Filezilla,
Help for transferring files using FTP:
We allow almost any type of PHP, Perl, or other open-source software that runs on Linux/Apache/MySQL. Many of the WP-ORG pages have been done in WordPress
Want your own domain name?
Who can have a Virtual Web-Host at WP-ORG?
If you consider yourself:
- Member of WP-ORG in good standing.
- You are a family member.
- Representative of a Graduate or Parent business organization, but must qualify as a member of WP-ORG in good standing.
then, WP-ORG welcomes you as a member of our virtual-web hosting community.
Pricing and Other Details
NOTE: Pricing does not apply to USMA Class Groups, West Point Societies, and Parent Groups. All other organizations will be reviewed on a case by case basis (See exception details below).
- 24×7 FTP access.
- 10Megs of disk space included. Any additional disk space will be provided at 5Meg increments; for each 5Meg increment, add $5.
- 10 POP accounts included. Additional POP costs $5 each.
- 1 listservice provided upon request. Additional listservices may be provided at a cost to be determined by a favorable review from WP-ORG.
- Unlimited email aliasing.
- Unlimited use of CGI.
- Full T1 bandwidth.
- Primary and Secondary DNS at WP-ORG.
- Customer is responsible for domain name registration with registration preferred through GKG.net.
- Unlimited bandwidth usage.
Free Service (Exception to Pricing)
- West Point organizations who participate or engage directly in the promotion and/or support of the United States Military Academy and the West Point Community may use this service for free. To ensure consistency of offerings, all requests must be submitted via email to Advisors for review.
- West Point Societies can use this service for free. The society must be officially recognized by the Association of Graduates. A list of officially sanctioned societies are shown at http://www.west-point.org/society/.
- West Point Parents Organization can use this service for free. To qualify, the parents organization must be listed at http://www.west-point.org/parent/.
- WP-ORG Moderators who manage class, society, or parent listservices may use this service for free. Moderators managing other interest groups may also qualify for free service depending on a favorable review from the Advisors.
Criteria for Usage
- Customers have freedom and choice of content. We trust (in the spirit of cooperate and graduate) that it will be used wisely, practically, tastefully, and legally.
- WP-ORG reserves the right to deny service to any customer at any time without cause or reason. As a courtesy, WP-ORG may offer a two week notice prior to termination of service.
- WP-ORG does NOT provide internet access. You must already have an internet connection to be able to take advantage of WP-ORG’s POP, FTP, and Telnet.
Services at WP-ORG
- All proceeds generated through this service will be used directly in support of WP-ORG operating expenditures.
- All existing services supporting the Greater West Point community will remain free. Basically, unless otherwise stated explicitly, services at WP-ORG are free.
There are no cancellation terms. We will host as long as WP-ORG is in business; you continue your obligation to WP-ORG and the domain-service provider (the one who gives you your domain)
We provide a 24/7 access.
Our connectivity is T1 speed.
We backup our systems
You will need to register your own domain in www.gkg.net (preferred)
Here is some information you will need:
One place you can purchase your domain is: www.GKG.net
YOU are the legal entity
Administrative contact: You
Technical contact: wporgsysop
Billing contact: You
Our DNS information is:
WP-ORG Primary DNS:
WP-ORG Secondary DNS:
It will take a number of days for the domain to point to our servers. Additionally, we are not notified by some domain registry services (such as gkg.net) that we have a new domain, so the domain registrant is responsible for letting us know. Please notify firstname.lastname@example.org. Following notice, it may take us a few days to get it set up on our end.