Army: No requests made for use of troops around election

Army leaders said Tuesday that they have not received any requests to use active-duty or National Guard troops for possible civil unrest surrounding the presidential election next month, but are ready to do so if called on.

Gen. James McConville, chief of the Army, said he’s received no guidance to conduct any specific training to prepare soldiers for potential deployments if election protests become violent. Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy said no government agencies have asked for military troops.

“We don’t police American streets,” McCarthy said, but he added that soldiers will help law enforcement protect federal property.

Their comments come amid worries that frustration with election results, vote-counting delays and other issues could trigger protests and prompt military involvement.

Rep. Elissa Slotkin, a Michigan Democrat and former senior Pentagon official, said in separate remarks to reporters that questions still remain about the potential for street violence on or after Election Day and the possibility that President Donald Trump could order some sort of military intervention.

READ MORE…

Army Probe into Helicopters Buzzing DC Protesters Now Under Pentagon Review

The Secretary of the Army today said that the Defense Department is now reviewing the investigation into military helicopters that allegedly flew dangerously low over crowds during a June 1 race protest in Washington D.C.

The Army opened an investigation into reports — including video footage — of Army UH-60 Black Hawk and UH-72 Lakota helicopters with medical markings that flew low enough to kick up debris on demonstrators who were defying the District’s 7 p.m. curfew.

“The Army has completed its portion of the … investigation,” Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy told reporters during a Monday roundtable at the Association of the United States Army’s annual meeting.

READ MORE…

Can the military prosecute decades-old rape cases? The Supreme Court will soon decide.

The U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments on cases today that could open the door for prosecuting decades-old rape allegations that have been previously prohibited due to a five-year time limit placed on prosecuting rapes that may have occurred between 1986 to 2006.

The new court case would not affect current rape cases, but it could impact some older cases that were previously deemed too old for prosecuting, said retired Marine Corps officer and career military attorney Colby Vokey.

“There are probably not very many cases in the system where this applies,” Vokey said in an interview. “But there’s always the potential for someone to make a rape allegation now, from 20 years ago, and all of the sudden for this to be relevant.”

The specific case pending before the U.S. Supreme Court, the United States v. Briggs, is consolidated, or combined with other similar rape cases. The main case involves Air Force Lt. Col. Michael Briggs. Those other cases involve two other Air Force personnel accused of rape — Lt. Col. Humphrey Daniels, who raped a woman in 1998 and Master Sgt. Richard Collins, who raped an airman in 2000.

READ MORE…

Operation Warp Speed Makes Swift Progress

Unprecedented progress has been made recently on Operation Warp Speed — the effort by the Defense Department, Health and Human Services, other federal agencies and private industry to develop a coronavirus vaccine, an HHS official said today.

In a telephone briefing with reporters, HHS policy deputy chief of staff Paul Mango said, “We’re very, very pleased with where we are.” He was joined on the media conference call by Dr. Janet Woodcock, M.D., the director of the centers for drug evaluation research at the Food and Drug Administration, and Dr. Jay Butler, the deputy director for infectious diseases at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Mango reminded reporters that four of the six vaccine candidates are in phase III clinical trials, and added that the Food and Drug Administration continues to review vaccine safety information on the candidates.

READ MORE...

With ‘shark attacks’ a thing of the past, soldiers recall these classic drill sergeant one-liners

Shark attacks might be a thing of the past, but that doesn’t mean they’ll be forgotten.

The decades-old practice of screaming at trainees as they disembarked the bus on Day 1 of infantry training, a tactic used to establish “psychological dominance,” has indeed been replaced by a new strategy intended to emphasize teamwork and trust, Army Times previously reported.

But before officially bidding farewell to the crowning event for infantry training, soldiers took to Twitter to share some of the best one-liners used by past drill sergeants.

Command Sgt. Maj. Rocky Carr, of Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command, put out a tweet asking soldiers to share some of their favorite (PG) drill sergeant sayings. The responses did not disappoint.

“You better run like you stole something!” wrote Maj. Gen. Tammy Smith.

A tried and true cliché, other drill sergeants offered more nonsensical words of wisdom.

“Keep your mouth shut when you’re talking to me,” replied @StevenBeynon.

READ MORE…

Ukraine Is Investigating The Killing Of Micala C. Siler USMA2001, A US Embassy Employee In Kyiv

Ukrainian police are investigating the killing of an American woman who was employed at the US Embassy in Kyiv, a police spokesperson told BuzzFeed News Wednesday.

The woman, who had suffered a large head injury, was found by a passerby on a street near Kyiv’s Nyvky Park outside the city center, Artem Shevchenko, a spokesperson for Ukraine’s Interior Ministry, said. The US Embassy sits on the eastern edge of the park and is only a half-mile away from where the woman was found.

Shevchenko said police were working to track down at least one male suspect they believe to be responsible for what he called a “deliberate murder.”

Shevchenko said the woman, who has not yet been officially identified, was wearing jogging clothes and earbuds when she was found.

READ MORE…

Micala C. Siler – USMA2001 – Eulogy page

Pentagon’s top military leaders quarantining after Coast Guard admiral tests positive for COVID-19

Almost all the members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff are quarantining at home after the vice commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard tested positive for COVID-19, according to two U.S. officials.

The decision that the nation’s senior military leaders should quarantine was made after they were advised late Monday night that Adm. Charles Ray, with whom they had met with at a Pentagon meeting last Friday, had tested positive for the virus, said a U.S. official.

All of the people who attended the Pentagon meeting last Friday with Ray have tested negative for the virus and have not shown any symptoms, according to a senior Defense official.

The senior officers quarantining at home as a precautionary move include Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. John Hyten, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the other senior generals and admiral in charge of the Army, Navy, Air Force, National Guard and the Space Force.

READ MORE…https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pentagons-top-military-leaders-quarantining-coast-guard-admiral/story?id=73454458

ACFT won’t be a graduation requirement in Initial Military Training for the next year

The new Army Combat Fitness Test will not be used as a graduation requirement for soldiers going through initial enlisted and officer training courses in fiscal 2021.

The move brings the Army’s Center for Initial Military Training in line with the rest of the force, where service leadership already said the six-event ACFT scores won’t count until 2022.

Army CIMT spokeswoman Megan Reed said the new policy applies to all soldiers in Basic Combat Training, Advanced Individual Training, One Station Unit Training, Warrant Officer Basic Course and the Basic Officer leader Course.

Soldiers are still challenged to train for and pass the ACFT, but “no adverse administrative actions will be taken” against troops who fail it, Reed explained in an email to Army Times.

Additionally, “scores or comments on performance will not be used administratively during the data collection timeframe,” Reed added.

READ MORE…

DOD Releases Annual Suicide Report for 2019

Dr. Karin A. Orvis released the Annual Suicide Report for calendar year 2019 in a Pentagon press briefing.

The director said the defense department has the responsibility of supporting and protecting those who defend the United States.

“Suicide is a national public health issue affecting people from all walks of life,” she said. “It’s a growing issue that affects all ages.

“The DOD has the responsibility of supporting and protecting those who defend our country,” Orvis said, “and it is imperative that we do everything possible to prevent suicide in our military community.”

READ MORE…

Army-Navy Sprint FB Postponed

WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Army sprint football contest against Navy, which was scheduled for 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 4 at Shea Stadium has been postponed.

READ MORE…

No, the US military did not mobilize its ‘doomsday planes’ in response to Trump’s COVID-19 diagnosis

Just before President Donald Trump announced that he and the first lady had tested positive for COVID-19, two E-6B Mercury aircraft were detected flying along both the East and West coasts, triggering speculation that the armed forces were preparing for a crisis, but the military said that was not the case.

These aircraft, sometimes referred to as “doomsday planes,” serve as airborne command and communication planes tasked with carrying out the Take Charge and Move Out mission, which involves relaying National Command Authority instructions to the US nuclear ballistic missile force.

Shortly after Trump tweeted that he and Melania were awaiting test results, but before he confirmed that they were positive, Tim Hogan, an open-source-intelligence practitioner, tweeted that E-6Bs were suddenly visible flying along both coasts.

READ MORE..

Fort Bliss Widens Search for Missing Soldier as Case Details Change

Army officials at Fort Bliss, Texas, are asking the El Paso community for assistance in an expanded search for a soldier who has been missing since late July.

The Army initially listed Pvt. Richard Halliday of the 32nd Army Air and Missile Defense Command as Absent Without Leave, or AWOL, when he reportedly fled from his unit on July 24.

But new evidence uncovered by U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command special agents “suggests that Pvt. Halliday may have left Fort Bliss earlier than previously reported,” according to a statement from Lt. Col. Allie Payne, spokeswoman for the 1st Armored Division and Fort Bliss.

“It remains uncertain of how or when Pvt. Halliday departed Fort Bliss,” she added.

Halliday was last seen on July 23 before 6 p.m.

READ MORE…