As part of the Operation Warp Speed (OWS) goal to deliver safe and effective vaccines and therapeutics by January 2021, five DoD locations have been identified to participate in the Phase III trial evaluating the vaccine candidate AZD1222 under development by AstraZeneca.
“The Department of Defense continues to play a key role in the development of a potential COVID-19 vaccine,” said Honorable Tom McCaffery, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs. “Now that vaccines have passed the first phases of testing for safety, dosing and response, we are ready to move into the next phase where volunteers are needed to join large clinical studies. We are excited to have several sites identified to support the next steps in the vaccine development process.”
The DoD sites selected are:
- Naval Medical Center San Diego (Site Code: NMSD)
- Joint Base San Antonio Brooke Army Medical Center (Site Code: BAMC)
- Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center (San Antonio) (Site Code: WHASC)
- Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (Bethesda, MD) (Site Code: WRMC) and
- Fort Belvoir Community Hospital (Fort Belvoir, VA) (Site Code FBCH)