We’re starting off our 25th reunion year with a great event in Washington, DC — a wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at 1615 on Saturday, 24 May 2014. We’ll also have the Fife & Drum Corps and the US Army Drill Team perform prior to the ceremony.
COL James Markert (H2 ’89) is the Regimental Commander, 3d US Infantry Regt, “The Old Guard”, and he has coordinated with Dave Kammen (F1, ’89), Director of Operations & Plans at Arlington National Cemetery, for this event.
- By vehicle: If you do not have a military or federal ID card you can get onto Fort Myer with any civilian identification, but if traveling in a vehicle it will be searched (no weapons please!). If you are driving, the GPS directions for each gate are on the attached map (2 – Main gate, 7-Henderson Hall Gate), be cautious of entering a Fort Myer address as many GPS units will bring you to the main entry to Arlington National Cemetery and there is no way to get from there to Fort Myer.
- By Metro: If you are traveling by Metro the best stop to use is the Rosslyn stop and you can walk into Wright Gate or grad a cab there (#1 on the map).
- Walking: You cannot walk through the cemetery to Fort Myer (Gate 6 on the map) without a military ID card. I say again, without an ID card the guards will not let you walk from ANC onto Fort Myer.
If your family has a loved one buried in Arlington National Cemetery and you have a pass please bring both the pass and the largest vehicle you own!
- We have email addresses and cell phone #’s for all attendees. Should something change last minute, we will attempt to notify the group via both of those channels.
- Note, however, that this is dependent on cell phone coverage in parts of ANC and cannot be guaranteed.
- Active Duty – ASU (either hat acceptable)
- Civilian Classmates – Suit & Tie
- Family & Friends – Casual
Saturday, 24 May 2014:
- 1400 – 1500 – US Army Drill Team and Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps performance
Conmy Hall, Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall [intersection of Jackson Ave & Sheridan Ave on Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall] This is item #3 on the attached map, please park in any of the three lots near Conmy Hall (#4) andif you get there early stop in the caisson barn #4, it is open 1200-1600.
- 1515 – 1545 – Movement to Tomb of Unknown Soldier
Leave from Old Post Chapel parking lot at the intersection of Lee Ave and McNair Road, item #6 on the map. We expect a small handicapped accessible bus to assist in moving anyone with mobility issues, the rest of us will walk, ferry, etc.
- 1600 – 1610 – Guard change
- 1615 Wreath-Laying Ceremony for Class of 1989 (Group photo to follow)
1645ish – Class & Family Gathering
The Old Guard Lounge, the basement of the Fort Myer Officer’s Club [Intersection of Lee Ave and Jackson Ave)
The Old Guard Lounge
Delicious lunches are served cafe style Monday through Friday, 11:30am – 2:30pm. We also serve an a la carte dinner menu Thursday- Saturdays from 6:00pm-9:00pm. The bar is open from Tuesday – Saturday 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm. Friday evenings feature live entertainment and dancing. It’s a great place to relax, socialize and refresh. A casual lounge menu is also available.