Nick Negaard

[1 AUG 1930 - C1 - 20203]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nick Negaard and John Sloan
[Tank Museum Show - SEP 2019]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Frank Ceglowski Armour - Nick Negaard - John Sloan
[C-1 Mini - JAN 2018]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Susan Mari Harley (daughter) and Nick Negaard
[JUL 2015]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Galen Negaard - Flags of the Coalition Forces
[Afghanistan - SEP 2009]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[50th Reunion Bio]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Page - Pirkey - Sloan - Andrews - Sechrist -
C. Johnson - Negaard [50th Reunion]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Standing: Patty and George Page - Gerry Samos - Toni Maurer - Marlowe Viney - Sitting: Bea and Nick Negaard - Jack and Susan Griggs - Dave Maurer [50th Reunion]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

C-1 Firsties - 1st Row: Griggs - Page - Sietman - Hayes - Negaard - Bates - Maurer - 2nd Row: Giza - Murphy - Staudaher - 3rd Row: Fleeger - Isbell - Charlie Johnson - 4th Row: Fred Phillips (CO) - Domeck - Sloan - Samos - 5th Row: Viney - Ceglowski Armour - Passafiume - Humphrey - Lozier - McClelland (Absent: Norvell)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nick Negaard
[Intermurder Soccer 1952]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2015 AOG Online Register
(Updated JUL 2019)

Gordon R. Negaard Cullum No: 20203 Class of: 1955 Born: SD Appointment: ND Branch: Arm-AF History: 20203 Gordon Raynor Negaard B-SD: A-ND: Arm-AF: 101Abn 56-57: 4ArmDiv 58-60: MSE PurdueU 62: APG 62-65: APG (AF) 65-67: AFIT 68-69: FltDynLab WPAFB 69-73: Ret 73 MAJ: OSU OH 73-75: Dir AerospaceInfo&AnalysisCtr WPAFB 76-00

Register Glossary

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

How I got my appointment to West Point

I was born on August 1, 1930, the second son of Ogel Negaard and Matilda Hanson; I had an older brother, Robert, born in 1923 and a younger brother, Carman Duane, born in 1932, who followed me into West Point, Class of 57. Following Duane was a sister, Janet Ann. My mother, unfortunately, came down with TB shortly after Janet's birth in 1933. My mother was moved to the SD State Sanitarium, at Sanator. This is in the Black Hills, quite close to the town of Custer. My father moved the family to Sturgis to be near my mother, but she did not recover. She died on May 19, 1935. My father tried to keep us children together, but finally, had to farm us out to different families.

In the summer of 1935, I was sent to live with Grandma Hanson, on the Hanson farm. This is where my childhood memories actually start. Grandpa Hanson had died in 1929, so the farm was being worked by my two bachelor uncles, Ben and Marvin. My brother Duane went to live with our Aunt Minnie and Uncle Elmer on a farm as few miles away, so I was raised as practically an only child for the next seven years. My sister Janet was taken by my father's brother, Norvald, and his wife, Agnes. They wanted to adopt her, but my father refused, saying that he wanted us children to make up our own mind when we were old enough to decide. My older brother Robert ended up living with Negaard relatives in the town of Sisseton. Unfortunately, Bob also came down with TB in the early 1940's. He then spent several years at Sanator before being cured about 1948.

My early childhood with the Hansons came to an end in 1942 after my Grandmother died. Over the objections of the Hansons, it was decided that Duane and I would move to North Dakota to live with our father. Here my life took a second involuntary turning point.

World War two was in progress and farm income was improving. My father was able to buy a 700 acre farm and became a typical farm boy of that era, learning to plow, seed, hay, and harvest using heavy machinery. I attended one room country schools for my first eight years of schooling. High School was a little larger. There were 32 kids in the local high school when I started. Our freshman class was the largest, with twelve students. . I normally missed the first month or two of high school every year due to harvesting. I still considered I got a pretty fair education, although I had little math or science. I learned to read early and was always a voracious reader which helped to flesh out this education.

My father was an enthusiastic fisherman and hunter. Every June, as soon as the crops were in, we used to going to Canada on a fishing trip and the fall, was hunting, duck, geese, and pheasant. December was reserved for a hunting trip to either Canada or Wyoming. In his lifetime, he managed to bag a Bear, Caribou, Elk, and Antelope in addition to an annual deer). We had plenty of rifles and shotguns in the house. I was allowed to use a 22 when I was twelve to plink away at gophers and other varmints near the yard, and I started using the 20 gauge for geese and ducks when I was a couple years older. I enjoyed this adolescent life, but began to get itchy feet as I turned seventeen. This is a common trait in the Negaards and my father understood and let me go. I dropped out of school before my senior year and bummed around the Dakotas for about a year ending up at Sanator, where my brother Bob was still recuperating from TB. During the few short months I spent at Sanator, I developed a lifelong affection for the Hills as a scenic and beautiful locale, but after Christmas and New Years of 1947, I realized I was not getting anywhere in life, so I took a plunge, and went to Rapid City with the idea of enlisting in the military to learn a trade in addition to seeing more of the world.

This was a fourth and critical turning point in my life. I soon found out that that while I often had choices, I could not always get the choice I wanted. I really wanted to enlist in the newly created US Air Force, but not having a high school diploma, I settled for the Regular Army, with the promise I would be assigned to duty in Germany. I spent several days taking a battery of tests. I scored 154 out of a possible 160 on the AFQT (Armed Forces Qualification Test. I discovered that the recruiting Sergeant was quite impressed by this score when he informed me that if he had known I was that smart, he could have gotten me into the Air Force. , although I had no idea of this at the time , this score would follow me throughout my enlisted service and eventually helped me get into West Point.

Basic Training went by fast and at graduation time, I was asked to select choices for an occupational specialty. My company Commander, probably based more on my Aptitude Test Score than by any impression I had made, reviewed my choices and suggested I volunteer for the Leadership School operated by the Division, with the option of returning as Cadre to his Company. I was flattered enough to accept, even though I had afterthoughts as to how it would prepare me for a useful career in civilian life.

I spent the next six months as training cadre and found it to rather boring, but things were about to get more interesting. The Army decided to close the base, and step by step, companies and barracks were closed down. By Christmas, there were only about a hundred of us left. Quite a few of my fellow cadre and many of the guys we had trained had been sent to the Second Infantry Division at Ft Lewis, Washington. This division ended up in Korea a little over a year later. Quite a few of these soldiers died there, in the Pusan Perimeter, including a close friend, James All good from Mississippi. I often think that could easily have been me. My brother, Duane, ended up serving in that same division, later in the Korean War, but that is another story.

The remaining few of us finally got our orders in early January, 1950. This marked a fifth and more exciting turning point in my life. I had no control over it and did not see it coming, but the next nine months would broaden my horizons, and offered me excitement and opportunities I had never dreamed of before. I and a couple of my buddies, Jim Beam and Charlie Johnson, were chosen to go to Trieste, Italy for a UN assignment. Later, we concluded that the main reason we were chosen was that we were chosen for our appearance. We based this idea on the fact that we were all blonde, blue eyed and about six foot tall.

The duty was easy. We were essentially a show outfit, although we did Infantry training and conducted field exercises monthly. Yugoslavia sat on the east side of the city and Tito was constantly threatening to march in take over the city, although by January, 1950, this did not seem to be much of a threat, anymore. We still manned outposts at the border crossings, although there was little cross border traffic.

Most days we were through training by two PM and had plenty of time on our hands. Jim Beam and I found a few others to play Pinochle with to while away some of our spare time. The University of Maryland ran an educational facility called USAFI (I think it stood for US Armed Forces Institute) in a building next to our barracks. . They conducted College courses for college credit. I remember taking a course in Psychology. They also gave GED exams. I took and passed the high school GED and then one which gave me a one year College credit.

Based on this, I think, my Company Commander installed me as the company TI&E (Training Information and Education) NCO (an E-5 slot) about the first of June, 1950. My primary duty was to conduct a one hour class, weekly, to pass on information from a weekly information sheet published by the Army, really just propaganda. When the Korean War broke out on June 29th, we started getting a weekly newsreel showing some of the bloody action. This made the class more interesting and actually kept the troops awake, which had been difficult before.

I felt rather important now and began to think of becoming an officer. On August first, I turned nineteen, and turned in my request to the first sergeant, who looked at me and growled 'You don't want to go to OCS! You want to go to WEST POINT!'. He educated me a little about West Point and convinced me to try. Sgt Scarry had been a Firearms Instructor at the Academy in thirties and knew that the Academy had slots for Regular Army appointments . The timing was coincidentally just right. The annual competitive exam was held the following week. It was extremely long, and I came back and told Sgt Scarry that I had done horribly. There were many questions, on algebra, trig, etc; that I could not answer, plus I never even finished the test. I was very surprised a few weeks later when I received orders to report to the Army Prep School at Newburg NY. I was even more surprised that I had ranked number six out of over 1,600 guys taking the Exam.

For the first time since I enlisted, the Army acted with surprising speed. I was quickly put on a train to Frankfurt, where I caught a C-54 and was transported to Newburg, NY in time to start USMAPS a few days later. The rest is history. The moral I use to teach my kids is that even a high school drop-out can turn his life around. But.I would never have even thought of West Point except for a grizzled old Sergeant who took an interest in me, and I would never have qualified except for the nine month intensive schooling at the Army Prep School.

Nick Negaard
13 AUG 2010

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Beatrice 'Bea' (Robles) Negaard

My wife of sixty years passed away Dec 6th, 2015.

I met Bea near the end of Plebe year and was engaged within a year. I`m still missing her every day. Luckily, I have three daughters, three sons and ten grandchildren to keep me happy.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Beatrice 'Bea' (Robles) Negaard

NEGAARD, Beatrice 'Bea' Died peacefully on 6 December in Dayton, Ohio at the age of 81 after a brief battle with cancer. She is survived by Gordon 'Nick', her husband of 60 years, and her children Susan, Gordon Jr., Robin, Gary, Galen & Kristin. Bea was born on 25 April 1934 in Brooklyn, New York to Felix and Mary Robles.

On 7 June 1955 she married Nick, an Army Lieutenant recently graduated from West Point and lived an adventure traveling the world as a military spouse, residing in Kentucky, Alabama, Texas, Germany, Indiana, Maryland, Florida and Ohio. Bea and Nick met through his roommate at West Point, Frank Ceglowski. Frank was extremely outgoing and made Bea's acquaintance during Spring Break of 1952, during Nick's freshman year at the academy. He gave Nick her picture and address and said, 'Invite her up, I think you'd like her.' During one of their dates, Nick noticed an Oldsmobile trailing them on the West Point grounds. He realized it was four of her five brothers, coming to check him out. Fortunately, her brothers took to him and decided he was 'good enough' for their only sister. Better than that, Nick hit it off with her parents, who became frequent visitors to West Point. While they were dating, Bea worked as a bookkeeper at Abels, Wasserberg and Company in New York City. Nick graduated from West Point on 7 June 1955 at 10 am, and they were married the same day in the Old Cadet Chapel at 2 pm, followed by a honeymoon trip to Niagara Falls and Montreal.

Bea was a passionate lifetime Dodger baseball fan and devoted grandmother to Daniel, Michael, John, Sarah, Andrew, Zachary, Jamie, Caroline, Nicky, Charlie, Aidan & Wren. Her fiery Latin temperament ensured life was always interesting for all those around her. She loved all animals but was particularly fond of pigs. She had a great sense of style, loved shopping and will be sorely missed by the storekeepers of Dayton. Bea had many interests, including painting, knitting, needlework and reading. She enjoyed traveling and was fortunate to visit Austria, Belgium, England, France, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Scotland, Spain, Switzerland, Puerto Rico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and Mexico.

She will be interred at the US Military Academy at West Point, the place they met and married and one that has special meaning for both of them. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to Ohio's at 324 Wilmington Avenue, Dayton, Ohio 45420. The family would like to thank the caregivers of for their dedication and tender care in her final days. Condolences may be sent to

Dayton Daily News
Dec. 13, 2015

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Local Classmate Assistant (LCA) Information

Class Remembrance: Charity

Preferred Charity: Salvation Army

Suggested LCA: TBD

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

West Point 1955 Home Page

Personal Web Pages

All rights reserved - West Point Class of 1955