1 US service member, 2 DOD contractors killed in terror attack on US base in Kenya

One U.S. service member and two American Department of Defense contractors were killed in a terror attack on a military base in Kenya that houses some U.S. military personnel. The Somali terror group al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for the attack that Kenyan authorities said had been repelled with four militants killed in the fighting.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of our teammates who lost their lives today,” U.S. Army Gen. Stephen Townsend, commander of U.S. Africa Command, said in a statement Sunday afternoon. “As we honor their sacrifice, let’s also harden our resolve. Alongside our African and international partners, we will pursue those responsible for this attack and al-Shabaab who seeks to harm Americans and U.S. interests.”

Two DOD employees were also wounded in the attack. They were listed in stable condition and were being evacuated, according to a statement from U.S. Africa Command.

The identities of those who were killed were being withheld, pending notification of their next of kin.

READ MORE…

Author: Dian Welle