Want This Page Wider?
Use the A+, A-, R, and <> or <-> buttons at the top right of this page to make the fonts bigger and smaller or switch between a fixed-width and fluid-width style to this web site.
In an effort to control spam, WP-ORG has implemented several blacklists that may be blocking your e-mail to a WP-ORG list or account. Click here
to fill out a trouble ticket.
How Can I Help WP-ORG?
- Donate to one of WP-ORG's semi-annual fund drives.
- Buy anything at Amazon.com through our Gradstore affilate program.
- Support our paid advertisers listed at our affiliates page.
- Send a message to
to inquire about advertising rates on WP-ORG.
Teamwork key to preventing Soldier suicides
Staff Sgt. Miguel Sierra vividly recalls himself and his staff handling logistical matters in the aftermath of a sailor committing suicide.
As a behavioral specialist and the noncommissioned officer in charge of the Army Health Clinic at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, Sierra said this experience impressed upon him the importance of teamwork and the need for Soldiers to maintain awareness of signs of distress among their fellow Soldiers.
Sierra recalls that just nine years ago, Soldiers would receive "after the fact training," meaning that units provided suicide education only following a suicide.
"When that happened enough times, people realized the issue was more serious than it was," he said. "Now, commanders and NCOs are getting the word out about suicide prevention. They're being more proactive and less reactive.
These days, commanders are more respectful of the advice of psychologists, psychiatrists and other health professionals who are trained to identify suicide risk factors and conditions that can serve as precursors to suicide like traumatic brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder, he said.
Recent Fallen Grads
- COL Charles Spieth Jr. USAF(Retired), USMA1943JUN: 20 Jun 1920 - 20 Mar 2017
- Mr. Paul S. Ache Jr., USMA1950: 07 Dec 1927 - 19 Mar 2017
- Mr. Jack Edmund Gerke, USMA1968: 04 Apr 1946 - 19 Mar 2017
- COL Millard H. Singleton USA (Retired), USMA1950: 21 Nov 1927 - 16 Mar 2017
- Mr. Julian P. Hunnicutt Jr. USA(Retired), USMA1949: 15 Jun 1927 - 15 Mar 2017
- LTC Cornell McKenzie USA (Retired), USMA1976: 07 Aug 1954 - 13 Mar 2017
- Mr. William H. Stuart, USMA1953: 12 Jun 1931 - 12 Mar 2017
- Honorable Edward B. Kime Jr., USMA1956: 16 Oct 1933 - 10 Mar 2017
- Mr. Jack D. Trawick, USMA1955: 17 Dec 1932 - 09 Mar 2017
- MG Joseph P. Franklin USA (Retired), USMA1955: 28 Aug 1933 - 08 Mar 2017
- COL James E. Walsh Jr. USA (Retired), USMA1959: 11 Jul 1936 - 08 Mar 2017
- MG Donald V. Rattan USA (Retired), USMA1945: 12 Sep 1924 - 08 Mar 2017
- LTC Michael R. Bridges USA, USMA1987: 06 Oct 1962 - 07 Mar 2017
- COL Robert C. Bacon USA (Retired), USMA1956: 14 Dec 1933 - 06 Mar 2017
- LTC Gerald L. Irwin USAF (Retired), USMA1956: 20 Apr 1933 - 05 Mar 2017
- COL Bickford E. Sawyer Jr. USA (Retired), USMA1945: 17 Oct 1922 - 05 Mar 2017
- COL Milton S. Newberry USA (Retired), USMA1959: 16 Jul 1937 - 04 Mar 2017
- LTC Ernest T. Hayes Jr. USA (Retired), USMA1950: 28 Oct 1927 - 28 Feb 2017
- COL Carroll H. Dunn Jr. USA(Retired), USMA1966: 11 Sep 1943 - 26 Feb 2017
- Dr. William A. Gager Jr., USMA1954: 20 Apr 1931 - 23 Feb 2017
- COL Richard H. Hansen USAF (Retired), USMA1956: 11 May 1934 - 22 Feb 2017
- BG Michael J. Tashjian USAF (Retired), USMA1948: 08 Dec 1925 - 22 Feb 2017
- COL Richard D. Garlick USA (Retired), USMA1958: 06 Nov 1932 - 21 Feb 2017
- LTC John C. Matousek USA (Retired), USMA1974: 15 Jun 1952 - 18 Feb 2017
- LTC William H. Schwoob USAF (Retired), USMA1950: 19 Oct 1927 - 18 Feb 2017
- COL Daniel J. Coonan III USAF (Retired), USMA1966: 10 Dec 1944 - 17 Feb 2017
- COL Robert B. Tully USA (Retired), USMA1946: 12 Nov 1923 - 16 Feb 2017
- Mr. Arthur W. Wild, USMA1954: 19 Jul 1930 - 14 Feb 2017
- Mr. John M. McClellan, USMA1970: 18 Aug 1948 - 12 Feb 2017
- LTG Harold G. "Hal" Moore, Jr USA (Retired), USMA1945: 13 Feb 1922 - 10 Feb 2017